Is There Need For Adventist Single Adult Ministries
At British Columbia Camp Meeting one moring our president, Gordon Pifher, requested that I talk for five minutes about ASAM that evening. I really, really struggled with what to say, then prayed and I believe that the Lord gave me the words because they just flowed from my pen.

Here is what I said. Would you agree with it?

Adventist Single Adult Ministries in the British Columbia Conference

One of the largest and fastest growing people groups in Canada and North America is the single adult; the never-married, the widowed and divorced. As of the 2006 Canadian Census they now make up 51.6% of the adult population.

So, what is the Adventist Church doing to minister to and reach out to this fast growing people group? What we are doing is not nearly enough.

Next year in 2009 ASAM will have been in the British Columbia Conference for 30 years. Has the ministry grown in 30 years? I’m sorry to say that we have not. We have very few churches that are ministering to these church members. In fact, many singles leave the church for various reasons; one of the reasons being they do not feel accepted as they are. Marriage is the standard we hold up. If and once you are married then you are okay. What a shame!

Yes, marriage is good for that is the way we were created but singleness is also good. When you look in the Bible you will find many of God’s workers were single’ Daniel, Jeremiah, John the Baptist, Paul and yes, even Jesus.

So, just what is Adventist Single Adult Ministries? Is it a place to look for a spouse? No, it is a ministry. It is:

1. A place of ministry both for and by the single adult church member.

2. Above all a place where single adults can learn of and develop a strong relationship with their Saviour and Friend, Jesus Christ.

3. It is a place where the single adult can receive the love and acceptance of friends that they perhaps do not receive in their local church.

4. It is a place where single adults can recover from loss through divorce and death of a spouse.

5. It is a place of fellowship where single adults can build good, healthy and strong Christian friendship with other single adults.

And so, this evening, I challenge you, each church member to love and accept single members just as they are.

I challenge each church to establish a Single Adult Ministry.

And above all, I challenge each single member to become comfortable with their singleness and to work on their relationship with the Lord. Singleness is a gift of time that God has given to you to work on your relationship with Him. It is a gift of time for you to reach out to other singles to help them work on their relationship with Him through Adventist Single Adult Ministry.

In British Columbia we have three conference-wide events each year:

1. Spring Retreat
2. Nightly meetings at camp meeting
3. Thanksgiving Retreat in October

Yes, with 51.6% of the adult population of Canada single, God has given Adventist Single Adult Ministries a real opportunity. My fellow Seventh-day Adventist Church member, what are we going to do about it?
Is there still a need for Single Adult Ministries? I'd certainly have to say, yes, there is a very great need! What do you think?
Make it Happen! :-)
I moved to the Alberta Conference in the Fall of 2009 and they asked me to be the Single Adult Ministries Director which I did for 7 years. Things in Alberta went quite well so, hopefully it will continue. ASAM is very needed in all our churches and conferences. What do you think?
DARLENE

there is a need for all kinds and types of ministries

dgrimm70
Now that is true........many ministries are needed!
Well since I quite working at the Alberta Conference they haven't been able to find someone to do ASAM but, the Family Ministries Directors did do a ASAM retreat in April (I think it was April). They moved the location so I'm really not sure what happened. I don't think the attendance was very high.

So.........we're still looking for someone to lead it.
DARLENE

I will be praying for this

dgrimm70
Still haven't found anyone. I've talked to the precious ASAM Director before I was and we are both going to keep our eyes and ears open to see if we can find someone. Hopefully we will be able to find someone.
So if our conference still hasn't found anyone to lead Single Adult Ministries why do we have the ministry....is it needed?

I like the list of what it is that is posted at the beginning of this thread....still think this is what the Ministry is:

1. A place of ministry both for and by the single adult church member.

2. Above all a place where single adults can learn of and develop a strong relationship with their Saviour and Friend, Jesus Christ.

3. It is a place where the single adult can receive the love and acceptance of friends that they perhaps do not receive in their local church.

4. It is a place where single adults can recover from loss through divorce and death of a spouse.

5. It is a place of fellowship where single adults can build good, healthy and strong Christian friendship with other single adults.

Would you agree with this?
I still agree with you, Darlene.  This is what Single Adult Ministries is all about and it hasn't changed.  It is definitely a ministry that is needed, especially not that over 50% of all adults are single.  God is working!
DARLENE

the  5  pointes that you  listed  are  very  good and  importanr

dgrimm70