A Biblical Perspective on Singleness
I wrote the following article for our Canadian Union Messenger several years ago and just found it on Adventist PlusLine so I thought I'd put it here.

A Biblical Perspective on Singleness

We are told in Genesis 2:18 that while in the Garden of Eden, "The Lord God said, It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." We all know the story of how God created Eve. In verse 24 it goes on to say, "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh."

It was a short time after this that sin entered the world and down through the Bible account of history we find Satan doing whatever he can to destroy the bond of marriage, the earthly symbol of the relationship between God and His earthly children, His church. Down through the ages, the struggle between those wanting to end their relationship of husband and wife continues. We find during the time that Moses led the Children of Israel, a man was allowed to put away his wife, but in Matthew 19:8-10 when some Pharisees came to him to test him, Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard, but I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery. The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry."

Jesus replied. "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and still others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept it should accept it." Paul continues along the same theme in I Corinthians 7:I and 7; "It is good for a man not to marry" wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that." So from these last two texts it looks like the Lord gives to some the gift of singleness. Does this mean that there is something wrong with someone who is single? No, it means that perhaps the Lord is using them for a special purpose.

From Ruth and Mary, from John the Baptist to Paul, and even Jesus, the Bible underscores the significant contributions of singles. And today singles can and do provide a significant contribution to the Seventh-day Adventist Church. It is God's plan that each church be warm and loving to all church members, whether married or single, accepting them just as they are and helping them to grow into solid, beautiful children of our heavenly King. All members of this church must stretch forth their hands to the single people in our communities inviting them to come along with us to our promised heavenly home. All must use the talents and gifts entrusted to them to faithfully work to hasten His soon return.
Has God given any of us the 'gift' of marriage or has He allowed us to be single so we can work on our relationship with Him? It's hard to think of singleness as a 'gift', isn't it?
DARLENE

I dont think that being single is a gift nor do I
believe that marriag is a gift.

some people need to be married and some people
can live by being single.

there ar example for both.

and I AM sure GOD AND JESUS can use both.

dgrimm60
If you are given something, could that be a gift? While talking about divorce, Jesus says in Matthew 19:10-11 "The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry." Jesus replied, "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. For some are eunuchs becasue they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it"

Marriage is the gift given at creation but, can not singleness be a gift also?
DARLENE
WELL maybe both being single and marriage is a gift.

but paul says it is better to be married than to burn

so some people need to be married and some people
can handle being single.

we need both

dgrimm60
Yes, and God knows who can handle which. I think you will find that many people can't handle being single because on their own they are not 'whole' people. In other words they need someone to complete them to make them feel of value. Those singles who have been previously married, really struggle with this. I suspect that could be why some singles get married within 2-3 months following a divorce, etc. It's too bad they don't work on their wholeness before they find someone to complete themselves. Perhaps their marriage would be a better experience if they did?! :Smile Maybe that is why we have so many 2nd and 3rd time marriages?
Things haven't changed much other then 50.2% of all society are now single (2019).  Could this be the reason why?  What are your thoughts on this?
Make it Happen! :-)