Singles Camp a Joke
Yesterday one of the former camp staff of a camp that used be used for Single Adult Ministry events shared with me that they used to think the Singles Camp was a joke. When the single adults ascended on them they even went so far to suggest to each other that they, the staff, should go out and buy wedding rings so they wouldn't get hit on. I guess they had some unfortuante circumstances where they were hit on. Obviously some singles thought the event was a place to hunt for a spouse and many singles were very actively and openly soliciting spouses or special friends.

I know that when I worked at Camp Hope, Single Adults had a similar reputation.

Is this what we want Single Adult Ministries to be known as; places to hunt for a spouse or are we a ministry? Are we places where singles can find support and acceptance? Are we a place where the single adult can come and find encouraegment for growth and healing? As leaders of the ministry what do you think?

Very fortunately we have been able to change the perception quite a bit. The people at Camp Hope now say that we are a very good group and that the whole tone of our events has changed. We are now a true ministry where we have a lot of fun yet ministry is taking place.

At our last retreat we had a lady and her daughter (both divorced) who came to find a spouse. She told us when she left that she was so shocked to find out what we really were and that she had sooo much fun and that she would defintely come again. Our Committee was so very happy to hear that!
Make it Happen! :-)
Yes, we have some strange people in this world and the above post was made in 2006. Have things changed since then? Is Single Adult Ministries more accepted then it used to be? Are single adults more accepted then they used to be? I do think things have changed, don't you?
DARLENE

I am sure that there are singles that look at retreats as looking for a mate-----I am not sure how many though

dgrimm70
That would be very sad. Yes, you might find a mate but it is a ministry and it is to support and help all singles to find fellowship and to grow in their relationship with God. Don't you think that is the real reason for ministry?
And now it is even more a ministry then it used to be. Makes me very happy because we always had/have soooooooo much fun! Yes, you could find someone but that is not our focus. We are a place where we accept one another and minister to one another and above all a place where we get to know God better.
DARLENE

well that is sad ==== that they do not have a leader and the ministry is slowly losing interest

dgrimm70
It is truly sad that some Conference Adventist Single Adult Ministries do focus on spouse finding and it is still giving the ministry a bad name.  In fact one of the conferences wants nothing to do with Single Adult Ministries because of that.  I think it is a leader focus and some of the leaders are not welcome in a Conference.  At least that is what I've been told.  

Yes Single Adult Ministries is just that..........a ministry.  Reaching out to people to help them learn of and love Jesus.  

Love to hear your thoughts on this.