One Of The Single 'Greats' In The Bible
One of the 'Great' single men in the Bible is, of course, John the Baptist. John knew from an early age what his mission in life was and he focused everything he had on fulfilling the mission God gave him to do.

His life was not an easy life! He lived in the wilderness as he prepared for his mission. His was a lonely existence. He never married. When he started his ministry people were excited to hear the message that the Messiah would soon be among them. When Jesus did begin his ministry, John said "He must increase but I must decrease."

Like Jesus disciples, John did not understand the Messiah's mission. He expected Jesus to drive out the Romans and take the throne.

When he was cast into prison by King Herod, he did experience doubt and depression. He sent his disciples to find Jesus and ask Him if he was the one he had preached about. Jesus was disappointed but His heart went out to John. After his disciples left, Jesus talked to the crowd aobut him. He didn't want people to think that God had forsaken him or that John had given up his faith.

Jesus said, "I tell you, no one had ever done greater work or been a greater person than John."

How does heaven measure greatness? God values love and purity -moral worth. John's greatness came from pointing to Jesus as the Promised One with no thought of himself.

"Why Jesus Didn't Rescue John (from Messiah by Ellen G. White page 140)

Jesus couldn't rescue John without risking His own mission, but that didn't mean He didn't care. He felt the pain of John's death. Satan had failed to make Jesus sin, so he caused John's death to make Jesus suffer.

Many wonder why John was left to die in prison. His fate won't shake our confidence in God if we understand that John was honored to share the suffering Jesus went through to save humans. Everyone who follows Jesus will suffer in the war against Satan.

John wasn't forgotten. Angels kept him company, helping him understand the prophecies and promises of Scripture. John would be an example and an encouragement to the thousands through the centuries who would suffer in lonely prison cells, or die by the sword, by fire, or by torture. John's story would reassure them that God had not forgotten them either.

God never allows things to happen to His children that they would not choose for themselves if they knew the end from the beginning and could understand their part in His plans. Neither Enoch nore Elijah, both of whom went to heaven without dying, were greater than John the Baptist who died alone in a dungeon.

Of all the gifts heaven can give us, the heaviest trust and the highest honor goes to those who share Jesus' suffering to save the human race."

So.....single adults today who have been given the spiritual gift of singleness (and it is listed as a spiritual gift in Corinthians) why have you been given the gift? Is God intending to use you in proclaiming His last day message in a mighty way? It is certainly something to think about!
Make it Happen! :-)
John, is one of the characters of the Bible that I greatly admire! What an awesome, yet lonely life he lead. Living in the wilderness and preparing for his earthly mission of preparing a way for the Messiah was a grave responsibility for him. It must have been a lonley life but he did not shrink for this responsibility. I pray that I can be as faithful in fulfilling the purpose God has for my life!
DARLENE

I really never throught about the single life of John the Baptist nice in sight.

dgrimm60
No we don't often think about John the Baptist as a single but, he was. We know that Jesus was single and yet John was also. I do not believe that his life was an easy one and he died so young. Jesus did say he was one of the greatest men who ever lived.
John the Baptist is tuly one of the special Bible people to me. His life was very different but, he filled his mission well. Single, living alone in the dessert for a time and then preparing the way for Jesus earthly ministry. Jesus does say John was the 'greatest man.' I do not think his life was an easy one.
No, I'm sure John the Baptists' life was not an easy one. Being single and alone never is easy, is it?
Yes, John the Baptist in the Bible truly was single and he lived his single life very well.  Would we do that?