The Fulfilled Never-married Single
Can the never-married single adult truly be fulfilled? If a person chooses to live a happy life can they be satisfied to remain single?

I happen to be a never married single adult who feels that through the circumstances in my life, God has gifted me to work with single adults, to strengthen and encourage them. I am a Child of Christ and He completes me.

What are your thoughts?
Make it Happen! :-)
Darlene, I agree so totally with your comment. I too am a never married single and I absolutely love the life that my Heavenly Father has gifted me with. I am especially blessed because not only has God given me this wonderful gift but, He has also allowed me not to have to work but three days (of my choice) a week so that I can when He needs me help others and work for my church and single.

Like you I also "feel that through the circumstances in my life, God has gifted me to work with single adults, to strengthen and encourage them." Professionally I am a nurse and emotionally I am a nurturer and with this NOTHING makes me happier than to be able to help someone no matter whether it is emotionally, physically, or spiritually. Life is so exciting when you allow yourself to be used by God because you never know what He has waiting around the corner for you.
Working for God, I believe, is the key to satisfaction and living a fulfilled life. I must admit that I did not always feel that way. Life has not been a bed of roses but, at some point in life, I chose to look at it this way. Yes, LoriH, we can make a difference in the lives of single adults in our church and communities by our contribution to Adventist Single Adult Ministries. The uphill battle we wage at getting the Ministry up and running in our church will will be well worth the effort. I believe that things are starting to look up.
This thread was posted in 2006 and I must say that Adventist Single Adult Ministries has made some progress. In 2007 we had our first biannual NAD ASAM Convention in Florida and this year it will be held California. Now, that is progress.

This year in the British Columbia Conference we will be celebrating 30-years of ASAM in our Conference. We've had our own Singles Ministries Department in our Conference now for about 10 years. So, yes, ASAM is growing. However, the growing is slow and many of our churches still do not accept and treat the single adult as equally worthy candidates for heaven. So....how are you accepted in your church? Do some still look on singleness as something to be avoided and do they still ask you why you are not married, if you are a never-married adult? We'd be very interested in hearing from you and your thoughts on this topic! :?:
I'm very fortunate. My church values and asks for my contributions in many different areas of church life. Perhaps my church is more on the forward looking end of things but I'm very encouraged and hopeful that progress is being made.
You are very fortunate, 1stborn. Apparently not all churches are like that. But, as you say, progress is being made as people become aware that there is a problem.
Adventist Single Adult Ministries is making some progress in the NAD. The key seems to be to find some good leaders, people willing to be used by God for this ministry. And they can be the never married, the widowed or the divorced.

I have come to the conclusion that God allows some people to be single to save them for His kingdom and to work for Him. By doing this they can focus on the gift/ministry that he has entrusted to them. We look at Isaiah, Jeremiah, John the Baptist, Paul and study their lives and see that God called them to a particular ministry and if they would have been married they could not have focused on that ministry. And then we look at the life of Christ and see that He totally focused on why He came to this earth, to save mankind. So, what has God called you to do?
It is now one year later since the above post and I still believe that God has called some single adults to do a specific ministry for Him that married people could not do. I believe He has called me to focus on ministry for Him. Again I am working with Sabbath School, Children's Ministries, ASAM and SAGE in this conference. If I was not single I would not be able to do all this. I can focus on what He as asked me to do.
What has God asked you to do? If you are a never married, divorced or widowed, do you accept that God has allowed your condition for a reason? Perhaps to save you for His Kingdom? Do you agree or disagree with this?
DARLENE

that might be a reason about GOD SAVING us but there could be other reasons

dgrimm60
Yes there could be other reasons dgrimm70, but God certainly calls all of us to work for Him. Just telling other about Him can be enough.
Things have changed since the above was written. No longer is there a single adult leading the ministry at the NAD. Things seem to have regressed. We now have a ASAM Convention every 3 years (I think). Several conferences have something for single adults. Our Conference now has a director for ASAM so things here are going well. Some of the conferences that had something for ASAM now do not. Things just seem to come and go. Maybe one day we will ALL wake up!

What are your thoughts about ASAM in the Church? Is the single adult be more accepted in our churches then they used to be. Could this be why ASAM seems to be regressing? Love to hear your thoughts.
Our Alberta Camp Meeting is now over and we did have an event for single adults every night and a workshop in the afternoons by Chris Lang. Both were very good but, our attendance was down. Not sure why but, our ASAM Committee will be discussing this to find out why it was down. One reason might be that several went to help with flood cleanup in the Calgary area. A bus of 50 went every day. I know that some of the singles who went. By the time of our meeting they were too tired to come. So this could have been one reason attendance was down. Hopefully next year things will be better.
And we are still moving on. We have Adventist Single Adult Ministries in our Conference and we now have S.H.I.N.E. Ministries also. S.H.I.N.E. stands for Single Young Adults Helping Impact, Nurture and Encourage and the single young adults are very enthusiastic about this ministry and are very supportive. In 2016 they will be presenting a church service in one of our churches once every month. So far we have 7 churches to which we/they will be going. Yes, God is good ALL the time. :-)
Very sad! Our past camp meeting this year at our Conference there was nothing for Single Adult Ministries. I did not go to camp meeting so I wasn't able to do anything. There was someone that said they would but apparently they didn't. Very sad!