Do Singles Belong In Church?
Here is a new statistic that is shocking: A report in 2000 revealed that only 31 percent of singles attend a church on a typical weekend, compared to 49 percent of married people. (not sure what the study came from but it is in the book given below)

Following is a very interesting section from the book Ministering to Twenty-First century Families by Dennis Rainey. pages 206-208 One can tell that this is written by a married person but, I think I agree with most of what he says.

Singles Belong In Church

The Bible blesses both the married and the single state, and we know from Scripture and church history that a number of the great molders and defenders of the faith were single. Many single people will have more time and energy to devote to Christian ministry than do married people. The apostle Paul made this point clearly: "But I want you to be free from concern. One who is unmarried is concerned about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord; but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how he may please his wife, and his interests are divided. The woman who is unmarried, and the virgin, is concerned about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and spirit; but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how she may please her husband" (1 Cor. 7:32-34).

Jim Talley, who has ministered to singles for decades, once said on our "FamilyLife Today, radio broadcast, "We have to realize that singleness is an opportunity for us to focus on our spiritual walk...Many married people are not as focused on service to God as are single."

Too often today, single people are made to feel as though they are incomplete human beings who will never find fulfillment until matched up with their "othr half." Certainly the vast majority of Christians will experience the blessings of marriage. But the scriptures teach that some are called to singleness, so they can be "comcerned about the things of the Lord (7:32) and "be holy both in body and spirit (7:34). I agree enthusiastically with Nancy DeMoss, a dynamic woman of God who is single: "Tireless, reckless abandon to the will and work of God ought to characterize the Christian who is single."

Our marital state, as important as it is, is not the most critical issue in the Christian life. Pursuing God and living in obedience to Him are the goals. We all start out single, then most of us marry. But eventually we will again be single when our spouse dies. Our goal should be to serve God passionately, whatever our marital state.

Each local congregation must help its members understand that God calls singleness a gift. Churches must get in agreement with God's plan for singles and recognize the important contribution singles can make in the life of the church.

Now may be one of the more difficult times in history emotionally and socially to be a single adult. God designed us for meaningful connection to others, something that is becoming increasingly difficult to achieve in contemporary society.

Steve Woodrow, a singles pastor for many years, offers some penetrating insights. "Being single is getting tougher and tougher in American because of the pressures, because of our increased degeneration of morals and temptation, the fragmentation of community....More and more singles are traveling. Companies look to them to carry heavy travel schedules, which pulls them away form community. These travel schedules are just crazy, and it's killing singles in a lot of ways. More and more singles lack strong intimate relationships, even with the same sex. That makes relationship with someone of the opposite sex even harder when there's not a friendship support base. Very few singles will even say that they have a best friend today.

We should not overly generalize about single adults, but a definite picture that emerges is of a large group of people eager to find friendships who, because of the pace and gragmentation in contemporary life, often end up not just alone but also lonely. This represents what should be the dreamatic intersection of a human need with the provision available in what is the greatest inclusive, expansive, resourceful community ever created: the church of Jesus Christ."
Yes, singles definitely do be long in church and as singles we need to make ourselves belong. We need to do as much work as anyone else, after all we are God's children just as much as anyone else and we need to do His work. Don't you think so?
Make it Happen! :-)
DARLENE

yes both singles and married belong in church----JESUS died to save all

dgrimm70
Only 33% of singles adults attend church while 49 % of marrieds do. Very sad! Do you attend church if you are single? It would be good to hear why single adults do not attend church? Do they not feel welcome? Or, are they focused on other things? Love to hear your thoughts........
DARLENE

I teach a youth class in our church===some times i do not have any students---some times i just have 2 or 3=== some times have have 6 or 8

it seems like that people of the age group do not come all the time===but they also depend on their parents to get them there

dgrimm70
Yes, sometime youth sometimes have other interests but are dependent on their parents a lot still.

Very glad you teach a youth class. I'm sure that is very interesting.