Keys for Successful Single Parenting
The following keys for successful single parenting come from Elizabeth Watson, "Payoff for the Single Parent'. Message in the book Single and Gifted by Dr. Jeffrey Brown and published by Autumn House (can be purchased at any ABC.

* positive thinking. We are the barometers of our homes. Our children take their cues from us.
* setting reasonable and workable goals. Making lists of daily tasks and activities, tacking what is in your realm to do.
* giving much love and little criticism to your children, others, and yourself.
* accepting praise and giving compliments, again, to your children, others, and yourself.
* being patient with yourself and not giving up. One discouraging day does not erase all your constructive attempts at management.
* praying without creasing. Ellen White writes: "Keep your wants, your joys, your sorrows, your cares, and your fears before God. You cannot burden Him; you cannot weary Him. His heart of love is touched by our sorrows and even by our utterances of them.' Steps to Christ, page 100.
Make it Happen! Smile
I've never been a single parent but, the keys do sound logical and I'm sure well worth the effort.

Any single parents in my area have an opportunity meet with the author at our Canadian Thanksgiving Retreat October 8-12, 2009, because Dr. Jeffrey Brown is going to be our retreat speaker.

We are really looking forward to having him because of all the speakers we have had over the years his message was the most meaningful to single adults.
Keys for single parenting:
Know yourself and your child. Helping your chld means starting on yourself first.
Realize it’s not about you. It’s about the kids for now.
Focus on the ABC’s. Acceptance, Belonging and Competence.
GETINGWATS

these are good points

thank you for posting hope you post again soon

dgrimm60
Getingwats, I like your 'know yourself and your child. Helping your child means starting on yourself first.' When we know ourselves we are able to move on and focus on other areas such as our kids. No, it's not about you. It's all about the kids until they are grown and can be on their own.

Thanks for these pointers.
I think that all single parents really try to be successful in their parenting! God has blessed them with children and we know God will give them the strength to try their best. We can do our part by helping them and supporting as much as we can also.
Make it Happen! Smile
It seems like there are more workshops/seminars for single parents these days. I'm sure single parenting isn't any easier but, the workshops/seminars would be very helpful. Have you attended any? If so, how did you feel about them?
Make it Happen! Smile
So, if you are a single parent have you been able to attend workshops on single parenting and how have you done with raising your children alone.  Would love to hear from you on this topic.
Make it Happen! Smile