NAD Adventist Single Adult Ministries: Forum
1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - Printable Version

+- NAD Adventist Single Adult Ministries: Forum (https://forum.adventistsingleadultministries.org)
+-- Forum: Topics Of Interest To The Single Adult (https://forum.adventistsingleadultministries.org/forum-56.html)
+--- Forum: Townhall (https://forum.adventistsingleadultministries.org/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine (/thread-980.html)

Pages: 1 2

1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - darlene - 02-13-2007

I bought a book today at Value Village called "1,000 Marbles" written by Jeffrey Davis. It is a real gold mine!! In it he tells about one morning going on his ham radio and hearing an older man telling something about 1,000 marbles. And Jeffrey listened....

"Well, Tom, it sure sounds like you're busy with your job," he said. "I'm sure they pay you well, but it's a shame you have to be away from home and your family so much. Hard to believe a young fellow should have to work sixty or seventy hours a week to make ends meet. Too bad you missed your daughter's dance recital."

He continued, "Let me tell you something, Tom, something that has helped me keep a good perspective on my own priorities."

And that's when he bagan to explain his theory of a "thousand marbles."

"You see, I sat down one day and did a little arithmetic," he said. "The average person lives about seventy-five years. I know, some live more and some live less, but on average, folks live about seventy-five years.

"Now then, I multiplied seventy-five times fifty-two and I came up with 3,900, which is the number of Saturdays that the average person has in their entire lifetime. Now stick with me, Tom; I'm getting to the important part."

"It took me until I was fifty-five years old to think about all this in any detail," he went on, "and by that time I had lived through over 2,800 Saturdays. I got to thinking that if I lived to be seventy-five, I had only about a thousand of them left to enjoy.

"So I went to a toy store and bought every single marble they had. I ended up having to visit three stores to round up a thousand marbles. I took them home and put them inside of a large, clear plastic container right here in the room next to my radios. Every Saturday since then, I have taken one marble out and thrown it away.

"I found that by watching the marbles diminish, I focused more on the really important things in life. There is nothing like watching your time here on this earth run out to help get your priorities straight.

"Now let me tell you one last thing before I sign off with you and take my lovely wife out for breakfast. This morning, I took the very last marble out of the container. I figure that if I make it until next Saturday, then I've been given a little extra time.. And the one thing we can all use is a little more time.

"It was nice to meet you Tom. I hope you spend more time with your family, and I hope to meet you again here on the band. 73 Old Man, This is K9NZ1, clear and shutting down. Good morning!"

Jeffrey says.....You could have heard a pin drop on the band when that fellow signed off. I guess he gave us all a lot to think about, I had planned to work on my antenna that morning, and then I was going to meet up with a few local hams to work on the next club newsletter.

Instead, I went upstairs and woke my wife up with a kiss, "C'mon, honey, I'm taking you and the kids to breakfst.

"What brought this on?" she asked with a smile.

"Oh, nothing special. It's just been a long time since we spent a Saturday together with the kids. Hey, can we stop at a toy store while we're out? I need to buy some marbles."

The book follows and thoughout the whole Jeffery gives what he calls marbles:

* Learn the lyrics to a song whose tune has been stuck in your head for days.

* Take a first aid and CPR class with your entire family. It could be one of the most valuable things that you ever do.

* Learn enough astronomy to be able to point out various constellations and visible planets on a clear winter night.

* Buy a book about paper airplane design and challenge your kids to see how many different kinds they can make and fly.

* With your entire family, spend an afternoon designing a family crest. When complete, have the artwork transferred to shirts for everyone.

* The kids never object to a trip to the local children's museum. Try it today.

Now that is just the first of 226 pages. Sure these are for families but, many single adults do have families and for those that don't they can be adapted.

If you are interested in purchasing the book it is published by Andrews McMeel Publishing in 2001.

Re: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - Jackie - 02-13-2007

Wonderful!!! Good review; thank you Darlene.

I'll buy the book ......

Re: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - darlene - 02-15-2007

Here is the second page of marbles:

The task of fixing a small dent or removing a rust spot on your car is best suited for two. It's a perfect opportunity for a long talk with a teenager as well as a great time to praise his or her hard work.

Find a book about kite construction and try your hand at making a unique design. Of course, it isn't really an official kite until you fly it!

On a cool Saturday evening we like to make a big pot of chili and corn muffins and invite the next door neighbours over for a casual dinner.

Next time you see a hot air balloon in flight, give chase and see if you can find where it lands.

Everyone should have a place on the regrigerator with telephone numbers for your doctors, schools, workplace, pharmacist, and veterinarian. Take the time to make or update yours today.

Re: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - darlene - 02-17-2007

More marbles....

* It isn't necessarily fun, but it is the duty of every parent or grandparent to take a child to a Chuck E. Cheese at least once in his or her lifetime.

* Make a trip to an art museum and study those things that are considered to be 'art.' In some instances, you might disagree with that assessment, and that's alright.

* Join your neighbourhood crim watch or start one if it doesn't already exist.

* Organize a community clean-up day when you and your neighbours pick up trash, plant flowers, and beautify common areas around where you live.

* Take flowers to someone you know who lives in a nursing home. Plan to spend a few hours visiting with him or her while you are there.

Re: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - Jackie - 02-18-2007

Hey ... watchmean Chuch E Cheese isn't necesarily fun? hehehehe

I have a blast going there with the kids.

Even if you don't have an official neighborhood watch you can usually find a few neighbors who will keep an eye on things in exchange for you doing the same for them.

I am really enjoying your accounts of More Marbles ... it does make you think seriously about how we invest our time.

Re: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - darlene - 02-18-2007

To be honest I have heard of Chuch E Cheese, but I don't really know what it is. Is it a crazy place where kids, etc. eat and do other things?

Yes, he gives some very good ideas. I'll keep adding some from time to time.

Re: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - Jackie - 02-20-2007

ROFLOL Sometime you need to crash a kid's birthday party and have the Chuch-e-Cheese experience.

Re: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - darlene - 02-24-2007

More marbles:

* Buy a bottle of that stuff that makes your windshield easier to see out of when it rains. Spend the morning visiting several of your friends and relatives and apply it to their windshields. It's a good excuse to enjoy a short visit and one that will be apprciated.

* Today would be a good day to take that wristwatch that stopped working months ago to the jewlery shop for repair.

* Enjoy a breakfast muffin in the park early one morning before taking a long walk.

* It doesn't matter it it's a swing set, a tire on a rope, or a fancy glider, no house is a 'home' without a swing of some kind. If you don't have one, shop for one today.

* Visit a candle shop to find a scented candle to set the perfect mood for a very special occasion.

* If you've never made a fire evacuation plan for your house, today would be a great time to make one and then practice it with your entire family.

Re: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - darlene - 03-10-2007

More again:

* If you are like me, when you need an umbrella you can't find one. Why not buy an umbrella for your car today and keep it there.

* Take a photography class and learn to take great pictures.

* Buy a couple of gallons of windshield washer fluid for your car. Use one for your own car but take the other to your parents' house and replenish their fluid too.

* Make a long-distance call to a relative or friend and spend an hour chitchatting about nothing in particular. It costs less than a hamburger and fries but is worth more than all the fast food you can eat.

* Make a batch of cookies with the help of your children or grandchildren, and take plenty of photographs of the event.

* Very often a local factory will stage an "open house," allowing visitors a chance to view the manufacturing process close-up. If you get the chance, I'd recommend going, it's usually a lot of fun and modern automation can be a real kick to watch!

* Take a calligraphy class, and next Christmas sign all your cards like a real John Hancock.

* We save our newspapers until the pile has grown high. Then, on Saturday morning I load them up and take them to the local Boy Scouts, who recycle them to raise funds for their troop.

RE: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - darlene - 05-16-2014

I used this book to do a Sabbath School program at both the BC and Alberta Camp Meeting and people just loved the ideas in this book and...........I still have the book. If you come to my place don't look for it because I want to keep it as long as I live. It is such a good book and great ideas.

RE: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - darlene - 06-09-2014

Still have the book. :-)

RE: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - darlene - 06-05-2015

Oh, I just love this book. Still have it and will use it again very soon.

RE: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - darlene - 06-08-2018

I still have my huge jar of 1000 marbles. It's really heaven but, I'll be doing my presentation again sometime so don't want to loose it or given them away yet..... :-)

RE: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - dgrimm70 - 06-08-2018

DARLENE

I just reread the 1000 marble story again=====it still is good with very good points

dgrimm70

RE: 1,000 Marbles - A Real Gold Mine - darlene - 07-30-2018

I'm thinking of doing this program at our Sabbath School in August. I'm sure people will like it again and I still have the list in small ziploc bags with a marble to give out.