NAD Adventist Single Adult Ministries: Forum

Full Version: The Joy Of Not Being Married
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sometime ago I came across an interesting book authored by Ernie J. Zelinski called The Joy of Not Being Married. In it he says some very interesting things.

He begins by giving the purpose of writing the book and shares that he draws from the experiences, and aspirations of other singles.

"Many singles have zest, energy, and joie de vivre which surprises many married people. The important
point is that well-balanced, happy singles enjoy being single. To them, life is more than just waiting for
someone special to show up.

High-flying singles know that life is not always easy; they realize that they have to do some difficult things
to attain satisfactiion in life.....

Being happy as a single is dependent upon making up your mind to make the best of your situation....Long- term satisfaction can only be attained by undertaking the challenging activities which are at times somewhat
difficult.

Being happy being single takes commitment and effort. You must take responsibility for your life if you
want to create a singles paradise where you are happy and fulfilled.

Voluntary singles enjoy their position in life. They realize that marriage isn't essential for happiness."

If what Zelinski says is correct, do you agree with him? Are you a highflying single adult? Are you happy and content as a single adult? Are you happy or do you feel so badly about your situation that you can't see beyond today? I for one can say that I'm happy being single. Couldn't always say that but, I am now enjoying my life. Big Grin
Another things that I gleaned from the above author is this:

Happy voluntary singles, unlike many singles and married people, have a true sense of themselves and can be happy with - or without - a relationship. Could this be ture?

Jeannieb43

I think knowing oneself is basic to becoming a well-adjusted person--whether single or married. Being single requires a change in orientation -- have to be more self-sufficient. But on the other hand it gives you a whole lot more flexibility to choose the activities that please YOU, rather than having to negotiate with your spouse on what to do and where to go and what to read (-- or how to spend your money!).

Getting used to those changes is what takes a little effort. But it's worth it.
Thanks for your comments Jeannieb43. It sounds like you have learned from experience. Yes, singles are probably more self-sufficient. I have to smile sometimes because I get some puzzled looks from some men because they think I should be waiting for them to do some of the things I do. But, if they weren't there I'd have to do them myself anyway. So, that could be a good thing and it could be a bad thing. Depends on how you look at it. :o

RoEHaurne

RoEHaurne, you posted some good information but it was in the wrong location of the forum so I have moved it to Member Websites of Interest to the Single Adult Shopper in the Miscellaneous Sales and Services To the Single Adult section. Thanks.

Scary

(03-03-2014, 07:09 AM)RoEHaurne Wrote: [ -> ]RoEHaurne, you posted some good information but it was in the wrong location of the forum so I have moved it to Member Websites of Interest to the Single Adult Shopper in the Miscellaneous Sales and Services To the Single Adult section. Thanks.

RoEHaurne, you posted some good information but it was in the wrong location of the forum so I have moved it to Member Websites of Interest to the Single Adult Shopper in the Miscellaneous Sales and Services To the Single Adult section. Thanks.

AbrahamNug

McStay at Ibrox during the Centenary season is the best. Its just the pure joy in his face that does it for me.
This point is very interesting ""Many singles have zest, energy, and joie de vivre which surprises many married people. The important
point is that well-balanced, happy singles enjoy being single. To them, life is more than just waiting for
someone special to show up."

If you are single would you agree with this? I'd have to say that yes, life is more than just waiting for someone special to show up. A person can really make their life interesting even if they aren't married. Right?